Preparing for the best and biggest day of your life? This series of blogs aims to help you as you navigate through wedding suppliers and deciding on the one you want to help with your big day.
We chat to some of our friends and fellow suppliers about their top 5 recommendations on what to consider and look out for when choosing a supplier in their chosen field. We also ask a little bit about them and why they chose to do what they do.
We’ve spoken with Jessica from Jessica Ross Photography and Timothy Jackson from Sassy Celebrants.
In this edition, we speak with award winning cake decorator, Melissa from MelRose Cakes.
What made you start MelRose Cakes?
My love of baking and all things sweet! I grew up with Women’s Weekly cakes, as we all did in the 80s and 90s! What started as a hobby and passion quickly grew into the business you see today.
How long have you been in business?
Tell us about the awards and
recognitions you have received
3 x Australian Bridal Industry Association (ABIA) Finalist
1 x ABIA Runner Up
Brides Choice Awards Newcastle and the Hunter winner all 3 years
1 x First prize in Newcastle Show and 3 x 2nd prizes in Newcastle Show
What are your top 5 recommendations for people when they are choosing their cake and cake decorator?
- Taste! Do you get to try the cakes before you book? You have to make sure you will love the taste as much as the design of the cake.
- Look at the designers work, is their style suited to the style of cake you are after?
- Choose your design/icing for the season and weather ie. buttercream cakes and hot summer days are not a great mix!
- Colours of your cake, while dark and bright colours can look beautiful on a cake, think about what this may do to your guests. Navy blue teeth can make some guests upset.. but can also make for amusing photos!
- Location of cake designer, will the cake designer deliver and set up or do you need to arrange your own transport for the cake?
Do you have any tips or advice for people whose wedding has been affected by
Stay in contact with your suppliers. Most businesses in the wedding industry are doing what we can to help all our couples. Your suppliers are there to help you however they can, be it from changing dates, locations, guest numbers or just a chat.
What’s the best way to get in contact
Phone is always the quickest – 0407 427 099. Always happy to chat via email or Facebook as well.
Header image credit: MelRose Cakes